Design questions

Discussing model railroad layouts and showing what you've built to the world
wilmoreranger

Design questions

Post by wilmoreranger »

Long time user, first time post...!

I want to design a layout that simulates the Rhine River valley in Germany in N, roughly on a 4x8 panel. My idea is to have tracks on either side of a river, essentially running in different directions, but i also want to have bridges crossing the river and at least a town on one side of the river. As well, though, I want hills rising on both sides of the river so that it looks like the lines and river are in a bit of a gorge.

The real problem is that setting this up so that it doesnt look like two loops is tough, particularly with the bridges. One idea that i had is to make the river an L-shape, so that the bridges would cross more easily, but in that process i lose that look of trains running parallel to the river. Another was offered by a person in another online forum. Problem is that it doesnt really allow for two trains on opposite sides...but i think the river is a shape that will work, and general shape might work. Im not interested in prototype operations...i am just planning this for something to do over the next couple months.
RhineValleyPlan.jpg
RhineValleyPlan.jpg (175.47 KiB) Viewed 4274 times