4x8 layout

Discussing model railroad layouts and showing what you've built to the world
MoPac

4x8 layout

Post by MoPac »

Here is the 4x8 layout in which this design initially started off at. This design might still be the factor if I have the room to do so.
Attachments
4x8.png
4x8.png (216.81 KiB) Viewed 3526 times
MoPac

Re: 4x8 layout

Post by MoPac »

Here's a better version without the extra small pieces and the curves are not as restrictive as before.
MoPac

Re: 4x8 layout

Post by MoPac »

I did find a happy medium.I did some surgery on the yard of my layout. The top portion will still be the receiving yard. The bottom part I transformed it into a classification yard with two ready tracks next to the main line. Which still cuts through the center of the yard. The last three tracks are for each industry. Yes, I kept the refueling/sanding tracks for the locomotives though I shorten them a little to hold two SD40-2's each. Also I decided whenever I purchase the turntable I'll buy the turntable extension. This will allow me to add more stalls. The top right long spur track is in question, it's about the length. I might reduce one of the 1022's /280mm tracks from this spur and use this as my programing/wheel cleaning/test track to the side. Instead of three of them there will only be two.

With this I am saving $25 on track alone! Plus my wife likes the newer one too. The only electrical switches I will be using is the three triples. The other left and right hand switches throughout the layout will be all manual throws. Yes, I still will have no leftover tracks on this layout.
Attachments
4x8.png
4x8.png (258.59 KiB) Viewed 3481 times