First of all I must thank you for creating this great application. I've used a few different ones, including the "old classic" version of RailModeller, but I think you're on the way to create something great here.
The last week I have spend quite some time in front of the computer to realize a layout that I've developed after being inspired online. It's a quite advanced layout (for me at least) that contains 5 different heights, including two hidden staging yards, a tracks between of course. So I spend a few hours working with the layout for the past week so I just want to give you my feedback on what worked well and not. Maybe you have use for it, maybe not
Overall the experience is good using Railmodeller Pro but there are a few things that stand out:
- The smart feature for Close Gap with Tracks is just great! Reduces time dramatically to use that we "being close to shorten a loop". The possibility to sort based on shortest gap would be a great add on but the functionality rocks!
- The clean up features, including fit to layout, is also great when done!
There are also a few things that really makes the process slower to work with the program for me:
- Working with heights can be tricky when there's a complex layout. For example the possibility to change the height on everything on a single layer would be great. What I do when I work is that I make everything "flat" when I draw the actual layout and use layers for different heights. When everything seems to fit together I start to adjust heights and slopes where needed. So the ability to adjust everything on a layer (or selected for that matter) would be great
- That the track disconnect when changing height is also time consuming but would not be a problem is the above is fixed
- I often has problems to get the another piece of track to be fitted automatically when clicking on the side where I want to add them. The shadow track is visible but I click or double click and nothing happens. Then I redo and probably do something different and it works. But I easy loose 5-10 seconds every time so it's quite some minutes to be saved if I learn correctly or if it would be easier.
- The last time thief if connecting tracks. The smart functionality is great but doesn't work when using different layers or heights for example. Also I know that if I have a section that is 3.5 meters long and it won't fit there's always room for some bending. I see that you have a force connect feature and I think that will work out great.
- The ability to toggle on an off (at least being able to choose to print it or not) tunnel sections would also be great as it easy gets complex.
Another thing that I'm sure that you also have in the process is the old 3D view that made tunnel sections hidden was great to visualize how it could look when ready.
Just some feedback on what works really well for me and what that made the process more time consuming that needed.
Thanks for your great work!
thanks for the feedback (always appreciated) and sorry for the delay!
Most of the improvements you've mentioned are already planned for the near future and with the major update to RailModeller Pro 5.2 just released there'll once again be more frequent maintenance updates to steadily improve the app in smaller increments.
Some of the improvements for rendering tunnel tracks (both, 2D and 3D) should be available already in the upcoming version 5.2.1!
I've used the RM Pro quite a lot again recently and I must say that the baseboard feature is a killer. Really, really good! Thanks for that one!
I also encountered some strange things when adjusting the levels. When I selected a number of tracks (2-5) that was at the end (they always included a Märklin 24997) and wanted to adjust the height I got the Height dialogue box but no matter what I changed the values to it didn't work. When I selected the tracks one by one it worked. Already in the dialogue the numbers entered correctly but I couldn't preview the change.
Thanks for the feedback - we've just added some more improvements for the baseboards feature to be included in the next update in Mid-February and even more optimizations scheduled for the coming weeks!
I've just performed a few tests with grading multiple tracks including the 24997 track but it worked as expected..
Does the height/grade change while editing the values when you're in the 2.5D view with the height profile view at the bottom enabled (middle setting in the Layout toolbar control)?