Re: OsO Valley

Discussing model railroad layouts and showing what you've built to the world
rhopkin

Post by rhopkin »

Upper deck construction underway. I decided to go out on a limb (again) and use 9mm plywood (less than half the price of the 15mm of the lower deck and half the weight) along with the recycled 27Sq mm stringers. First section worked out well so I'll continue. Posted more photo's for you.

I'll try not to use vertical supports at the front of second deck if I can avoid it so the whole top deck is floating. I'm no carpenter by the stretch of anyones imagination but taking my time and measuring at least 3 times and then cutting it all seems to be OK using only a basic jigsaw. No tragic events yet!

Once again, Rail Modeller Pro has been invaluable in helping me design and execute the layout and I keep checking back to cross reference my design at all phases of the build. So far the entire lower deck is still visible with the top deck on when standing next to it so I''m pleased with the 35cm height difference.
Attachments
IMG_4526.jpg
IMG_4526.jpg (216.41 KiB) Viewed 242640 times
IMG_4525.jpg
IMG_4525.jpg (237.59 KiB) Viewed 242640 times
IMG_4524.jpg
IMG_4524.jpg (225.13 KiB) Viewed 242640 times
Last edited by rhopkin on 22 Jan 2018, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
rhopkin

Post by rhopkin »

Have been able to put in almost a full week, More work on the top deck, stringers and even more or less finished the helix roadbed. More photo's for you. I tested a four axle GP7 and my new GS4 on the initial climb to make sure the incline and curves aren't too much. I'll do a full test tomorrow with a full climb, full consist (probably 10+ passenger cars from a standing start. Fingers crossed!

The helix was a real labour of love, I'm fairly pleased with the result and used up a bunch of hardware I had laying around so kept cost to a minimum. If you don't enjoy woodwork (fortunately I do even though I'm not so good at it) then think about a helix kit if your designing a multi-layer layout. Building one eats huge amounts of time, wood and hardware plus needs a bit of thought to see it through but hugely fun if you like building.
Attachments
IMG_4541.jpg
IMG_4541.jpg (231.86 KiB) Viewed 242627 times
IMG_4538.jpg
IMG_4538.jpg (203.87 KiB) Viewed 242627 times
IMG_4540.jpg
IMG_4540.jpg (230.99 KiB) Viewed 242627 times
rhopkin

Post by rhopkin »

99.9% done with benchwork.

Electrics and track laying next. Doubt I'll have time now for it until September but you never know.
Attachments
IMG_4548.jpg
IMG_4548.jpg (209.17 KiB) Viewed 242623 times
IMG_4547.jpg
IMG_4547.jpg (226.38 KiB) Viewed 242623 times
IMG_4546.jpg
IMG_4546.jpg (184.8 KiB) Viewed 242623 times
rhopkin

Post by rhopkin »

Hello again

It's been a while since I posted anything but have made progress since the last time. Updated I'll post a few photo's shortly but I've also got a you tube channel for the build. Don't expect great production quality as it's all shot from my iPhone and I don't edit the video. Average time is 3 to 5 minutes per update. So far I have ten updates but jump straight to updates 9 and 10 as these have been done in the last week.

Thanks for looking.
Last edited by rhopkin on 22 Jan 2018, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.
rhopkin

Post by rhopkin »

Lower deck DCC Bus line installed as are the drop feeders. Used 4mm cable for the bus line and the default Kato track feeder cables (24-818). So far have used over 30 and have another 20 to install on the helix and upper yard area. First test run everything worked perfectly, no short circuits and no dead spots. Very much worth the effort to make sure you have enough feeder wires and to make sure all turnouts are powered on the in track and the two out tracks are isolated.

Started running out of track so need to order more before I can progress much further. Also made changes to the yards from the original drawing and will now have dual tracks on the reverse loop that runs mostly hidden under the upper section of the lower deck. Added yet more plywood to the lower deck (for the upper portion) and have started experimaenting with cutting/sanding/shaping the foam for scenery. Also messed around with painting the unitrack to get rid of the plastic toy look. Found inexpensive low pressure spray paint in Bricor (local Spanish DIY shop). Easily cleaned the rails afterwards and in fact did the entire back section in two very large pieces, making sure any spray on the rail joiners didn't matter because this occured at sections that were isolated and powered by seperate track feeders. Really made life easy.

As I've mentioned before, please check out my You Tube page or search OSO Valley N Scale, latest are video's 9 and 10 as of writing this. It explains a lot more that a thousand words can here. Thanks for reading and all comments, questions or whatever is welcome.

RH
Attachments
IMG_5923.jpg
IMG_5923.jpg (240.94 KiB) Viewed 241993 times
IMG_5922.jpg
IMG_5922.jpg (284.61 KiB) Viewed 241993 times
IMG_5921.jpg
IMG_5921.jpg (237.35 KiB) Viewed 241993 times
rhopkin

Post by rhopkin »

A few more photographs.
Attachments
IMG_5920.jpg
IMG_5920.jpg (313.5 KiB) Viewed 32119 times
IMG_5924.jpg
IMG_5924.jpg (270.43 KiB) Viewed 32119 times
IMG_5919.jpg
IMG_5919.jpg (284.9 KiB) Viewed 32119 times
RailModeller Support

Post by RailModeller Support »

Awesome - thanks for sharing! Great to see the actual layout come along.

For everybody's convenience here's a direct link to the OsO Valley You Tube page and videos:

N Scale OsO Valley Update 10

Cheers,
Jan
RailModeller Pro - The model railroad layout design package for the Mac

Twitter: https://twitter.com/RailModeller
YouTube: https://youtube.com/c/IsleoftheKakapo
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/railmodeller
Facebook: https://fb.me/RailModellerPro
rhopkin

Post by rhopkin »

Hello again

Thank you very much Jan for adding my You Tube link! It's appreciated and nice to get a lot more viewings on my channel. Keeps me motivated.

A few more photo's today. I decided to extend the double tracks under the plywood so the turnout happens before entering the tunnel. That way I have a longer length of double track to park one train. I now have 10 relatively long pasenger trains and not many places to leave them on sidings. It means I can get my longest train with three locomotives and fifteen passenger cars, the Great Northern Empire Builder into one of the reverse loop sidings and out the way when not being run.

I made a mistake in the planning phase so it meant I had to cut away the foam riser and glue in tunnel walls. I also had to glue the half cut risers back together after cutting them to hold it all in place and at the same time cut the hill section in half along the benchwork join line in case I ever have to move the layout. When it's dry, I'l put it back together including the plywood upper level and make another video running more trains. Was a bit difficult working around the wires and track but all good. The nice thing is it gave me the opportunity to use up more of my leftover Kato V16 curves so less waste. New video tomorrow or in a few days on the OsO Valley You Tube channel when I next get the opportunity.

Thanks for reading.

RH
Attachments
IMG_5941.jpg
IMG_5941.jpg (367.71 KiB) Viewed 31549 times
IMG_5940.jpg
IMG_5940.jpg (263.91 KiB) Viewed 31549 times
IMG_5952.jpg
IMG_5952.jpg (365.77 KiB) Viewed 31549 times
rhopkin

Post by rhopkin »

Posting new video shortly, last updates and running a few trains, discussing tunnel modification, LED lights, finalised yard etc. Probably last udate for at least 8 to 10 weeks, heading back to work and will be away for some time. Thanks for reading and watching the video.

RH
Attachments
IMG_5981.jpg
IMG_5981.jpg (338.19 KiB) Viewed 31534 times
IMG_5980.jpg
IMG_5980.jpg (344.91 KiB) Viewed 31534 times
IMG_5978.jpg
IMG_5978.jpg (311.14 KiB) Viewed 31534 times
rhopkin

Post by rhopkin »

Hello again

Just came accross photo's I took when I was experimenting with painting the Kato Uni Track. Essentially, I removed the entire section of furthest away part of the layout, which wasn't going to be easy to reach, kept it in two halves and then just sprayed it on a drop sheet in the garage. After letting the paint dry a little, perhaps ten minutes, just wiped the rails down with paper towel and paint thinner followed by a hard sponge with a fine grade sand paper on it just to catch any areas I missed. Once it was dry, clicked the track back into place.

NOTE: The rail joiners and track that get paint on them will not conduct electricity when connected to the next section of track so it's important that the sections are painted in the same blocks you intend on having electrical drop wires. So, for example, the end pieces had insulated joiners on them anyway as those track sections are fed by normal drop wores from the DCC bus wire so didn't matter if paint obscured the joiner electrical contact.

Once the track is completely dry, you could always take apart the sections again and add more drop wires. Just makes painting the rails easier. Obviously, the surrounding area of the track and ties will have to be balasted so ultimately, all you will see of the painted Uni Track ire the actual sides of the rails. I do plan on getting a toothbrush and gently brushing the ties between the rails with a little thinner to remove some extra paint. Reason being, I have a mixture of concrete and wooden effect track pieces so the "dirtier" I can make it all look, the better the pieces will blend in. I'll also paint the ties with various dirty colours to simulate or add in coloured washes for effect of oil spills, diesel fumes or areas where the locomotives would be working harder like on grades etc. I also think it will look better if the track looks slightly different all the way around the layout rather than completely uniform over different areas. Hopefully, I'll get it right.

Next thing is to paint turnouts as well, that's a little scary given they could be permanently stuck if I don't mask off the right parts or protect them. Not seen may painted UniTrack turnouts although I know it can be done. Another project...

Thanks for reading.

RH
Attachments
IMG_5787.jpg
IMG_5787.jpg (337.83 KiB) Viewed 31458 times
IMG_5788.jpg
IMG_5788.jpg (317.08 KiB) Viewed 31458 times
rhopkin

Post by rhopkin »

If you already have RailModeller Pro, I've made my layout available to download on the community layts section of RMP under N scale.

Originally, the top deck was going to be Peco track but I've had such good results with the Kato track after messing around with it for the last few years that I redesigned the top deck with Kato Unitrack to match the lower deck. I've also made the design more mountainous.

There are only four areas that do not use Kato track. Two are on the lower deck which will be a very early 1950's style intermodal yard with ramps at the end of each track and the roundhouse area (Walthers 130'). The top deck I've used flex track for a couple of bridges although on the plan the largest bridge actually shows three inline single track Kato bridges but I will build it with another style bridge, possibly Micro Engineering's bridge so of course I will not use Kato track on that section. The final bridge is on the top deck where there is a partial curved bridge which I may need scratch building but it's not too big.

On my layout, the helix is 5 layers with 2% incline, 50mm (2 inches) clearance. Equally all inclines are 2% using Woodland Scenics risers and all bridge clearances 50mm (2inches) as per the helix.

Anyway, feel free to download and build yourself or even modify my design and add it to the community layouts. We all have our own ideas and it's great for other railroaders to modify an existing design.

One last thing, I haven't updated much here or on my YouTube channel for a long time because I'm still working away and my rotation onboard the vessel has been extended to mid April for logistical reasons. :( The good news is I'll get the full ten weeks off next rotation home which is a lot of train time! :D

Thanks for reading.
Attachments
OsO Valley (DCC Double Deck).jpeg
OsO Valley (DCC Double Deck).jpeg (588.39 KiB) Viewed 31308 times